Your Golden Retriever is the life of the family.
The minute you walk through the door, she’s by your feet wagging her big fluffy tail, as if you’ve been gone for years.
And since your Golden is like a child to you, you’re concerned about her health, and you’ve heard of this stuff called CBD.
Well, just like many other pedigree dogs, Golden Retrievers do deal with a lot of health conditions.
Luckily, CBD is a natural remedy that can help with these conditions and contains no THC.
Below I’ll take a closer look at Golden Retrievers, the conditions that most affect them, and how CBD can help you manage them.
Golden Retrievers: The Perfect Family Dog
Golden Retrievers were bred in Scotland by Sir Dudley Courts Marjoribank, a local businessman, politician, and lord.
Marjoribank was a keen hunter who, looking for a new hunting companion, bought the only yellow retriever out of an entire litter of black retrievers.
He trained the dog to not only be a loyal and obedient hunting companion but also a calm, well-tempered dog for his family.
He continued buying and breeding yellow retrievers and crossing them with Tweed Water Spaniels and other kinds of retrievers.
The end result was a loyal, playful dog with a golden, wavy, water-resistant coat.
In 1911, Marjoribank’s popular retriever would be recognized as the Golden Retriever.
Today, Golden Retrievers have earned their keep as great family dogs, treasured for their temper and loving, playful nature.
Common Conditions Affecting Golden Retrievers
Here’s a list of common conditions that may affect your Golden Retriever:
- Elbow and Hip Dysplasia: Golden Retrievers, like other large dog breeds, commonly deal with dysplasia of the hip and elbows. Hip dysplasia is often caused by a genetic malformation that causes the hip joint to grind, causing pain and leading to arthritis or lameness, on the other hand, when the bones of the elbow grow at different rates, often leads to inflammation and pain.
- Ear Infections: Thanks to their big floppy ears (which are great at retaining moisture) and natural love of water, Golden Retrievers are known to regularly deal with ear infections.
- Epilepsy: Epilepsy causes seizures of varying intensities and severities. Unfortunately, Golden Retrievers are prone to epilepsy, more so than many other breeds.
- Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus (GDV): This condition is common among many large breeds, including Golden Retrievers, Labradors, and others. It is caused by a twisting of the stomach which blocks normal blood flow to the dog’s heart and can lead to death.
- Heart Disease: 15% of Golden Retrievers deal with some kind of heart disease. This can include cardiomyopathy, chronic valve disease, and others.
- Obesity and Weight Issues: CBD for Golden Retrievers are known for having a healthy appetite and needing plenty of regular, intense exercise. If they don’t get the exercise they need, Goldens can quickly put on weight and even become obese, which causes all kinds of other health problems.
- Osteocondrosis: This condition often affects young, growing dogs. It specifically affects the joints (such as the elbows and shoulders) and is characterized by a failure of articular cartilage to develop into the bone as the dog grows. This can cause all kinds of complications including lameness, joint effusion, and reduced range of motion.
- Separation Anxiety: This is a big issue for Golden Retrievers who become very attached to their families. Common signs of separation anxiety include constant whining and barking when left alone, as well as chewing, digging, etc. CBD for Golden Retrievers works.
- Subvalvular Aortic Stenosis: This is a heart condition in which there is a narrow connection between the left ventricle of your dog’s heart and their aorta. This can lead to sudden fainting, or sometimes even sudden death.
- Skin Conditions: Skin diseases can be found in many golden retrievers since their dense undercoat and long outer coat make a perfect habitat for disease-ridden bacteria. About one in every two goldens develop some sort of skin problem, like allergies, which case itchy, flaky, red skin and can lead to serious infections such as pyoderma. Visit the vet immediately as it could be a sign of a more-serious underlying problem.
More common skin diseases and their symptoms found in Golden Retrievers:
- Lick Granuloma – results from the dog’s urge to lick the lower portion of his legs.
- Sebaceous Adenitis – hereditary disease in which the sebaceous glands become inflamed and lead to hair loss
- Seborrhea – chronic inflammatory skin disease that includes the excessive discharge of sebum from the sebaceous glands
- Sebaceous cysts – swelling in the skin arising in a sebaceous gland, typically filled with yellowish sebum.
- Lipomas – a benign tumor of fatty tissue
CBD Oil for Golden Retrievers With Obesity or Weight Issues
Obesity is a big problem for dogs.
At its core, obesity is caused by an energy imbalance; dogs take in more calories than they burn during the day, and these calories are stored around the body as fat.
As your dog puts on more and more weight, they increase their risk of developing a wide variety of other problems, including:
- Excess weight places more stress on the joints and can lead to problems in these areas.
- Obesity also leads to a higher risk of developing heart conditions, which Golden Retrievers are already more prone to.
- Obesity increases a dog’s risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Obesity also increases your dog’s risk of developing respiratory conditions.
- Obesity increases the risk of some kinds of cancer.
Of course, we know that the best way to reduce the risk of obesity is with a healthy diet and plenty of exercise.
But new research shows that CBD which is THC free can also help control metabolism and appetite.
A 2016 study by Korean researchers found that CBD sometimes called hemp oil can help induce “fat browning.”
Unlike white fat, which is thought to increase the risk of heart disease and diabetes, scientists believe brown fat could help burn calories and energy.
The researchers noted that CBD had 3 main effects on fat stores and other benefits in the body:
- It helped stimulate proteins and genes which help breakdown fat.
- It promoted the growth and activity of mitochondria, which are directly involved in burning energy.
- It drove down a specific protein involved in creating new fat stores.
Based on these results, the authors of the study concluded that CBD can help induce fat browning and therefore may help promote weight loss.
A 2008 study published in Diabetologia also showed that the endocannabinoid system (a system found in all mammals responsible for producing cannabinoids and mediating the effects of compounds like CBD) is heavily involved in metabolic processes. The reason behind the many health benefits of CBD oil has to do with the body's endocannabinoid system. All mammals have this network of cannabinoid receptors that serve as the body's control center for health. The system's job is to increase and decrease immune response based on what's going on in the body to maintain overall health.
More precisely, the study states that the ECS is involved in the metabolism of glucose and lipids at various levels, and could help regulate the storage of energy as fat.
Another study, published in 2012 in Psychopharmacology, found that CBD (hemp oil) had positive effects on the feeding patterns of rats.
The study looked at 2 cannabis-derived compounds; cannabinol (or CBN) and cannabidiol (or CBD oil).
It found that, while CBN increased feeding patterns in rats, CBD oil actually reduced them, and could, therefore, help control appetite.
Now, we know that none of these cbd oils studies were conducted on dogs and are non toxic.
But your dog has an endocannabinoid system just like humans and other animals.
This means they process and benefit from CBD oil in much the same way as we do for your dog's health.
Hence, if your Golden Retriever is struggling with obesity or other weight issues, we recommend trying a CBD oil supplement or capsules.
Remember, CBD for golden won’t magically help your dog slim down.
But, based on the research above, it can be a great addition to a healthy diet and exercise scheme, helping your dog burn fat and control their appetite.
CBD for Golden Retriever With Separation Anxiety or Canine Anxiety
As I’m sure you know, Golden Retriever love their family.
And while their loving nature and companionship is one reason they’re such a popular breed, it can also lead to some big behavioral problems.
In many cases, the core of these problems is separation anxiety.
Separation anxiety is basically when your dog can’t stand being separated from you.
So, when you do leave them home alone, you’ll usually hear them barking, howling, or whining, and you'll come home to a chewed-up couch or a torn-apart cushion.
Or, you might find your dog gets so excited when you get home that they can’t control their bladder and urinate all over the floor.
Other signs of separation anxiety in dogs include:
- Trying to escape from the house or yard
- Urinating or defecating
- Incessant panting
If your Golden shows some of these signs and has been diagnosed with separation anxiety, I highly recommend trying CBD oil.
A large body of research has explored the role of CBD oil as a possible anxiety treatment.
Studies have also shown that CBD oil can help promote cell growth in the hippocampus, which is a key part of the brain and often studied for its role in anxiety and depression.
- Be sure to check to see if your Golden Retriever shows signs of separation anxiety, or any of the symptoms above. If they do, then we would highly recommend you consider giving them CBD oil for dogs.
Like many other animals, golden retrievers are known to develop conditions of the heart, lungs and circulatory system. Large breeds like goldens most commonly develop the congenital condition known as subvalvular aortic stenosis (SAS), which is a narrowing of the front part of the aorta, which is the artery that carries oxygenated blood out of the heart. When narrowed, the flow of blood from the left ventricle to the aorta is partially blocked, causing the heart to work harder than normal. Over time, the heart has more trouble pushing the blood through the opening and can lead to death.
A big issue with heart conditions is knowing whether or not your golden retriever actually has a chest condition. It’s hard to know whether your dog is being lethargic because he simply wants to be or there’s an underlying issue like SAS. Make sure you’re taking your dogs for regular check ups at the vet and that their hearts are being monitored for health and treat any symptoms they may have. Your pet is such a large part of your world, and using CBD oil has many benefits you can use as dog owners.
Millpets.com CBD Hard dog treats or pet cbd oil is perfect for giving your golden what they need to live a pain-free life.
VON WILLEBRAND DISEASE
Von Willebrand disease (VWD) is a common, genetic blood disorder that’s found in golden retrievers. Caused by missing or defective von Willebrand factor (VWF), a clotting protein, VWF platelets in blood vessel walls when it binds factor VIII, another key clotting protein. These help form a platelet plug during the clotting process. A golden retriever that suffers from VWD will more likely suffer from excessive bleeding upon an injury. They also might bleed excessively from the nose or gums, while some may also develop internal organ bleeding and may even experience blood in their urine.
LOOSE KNEES (LUXATING PATELLA)
Luxating (dislocated) patella (kneecap) refers to when the kneecap moves out of position. Lying in a cartilaginous groove at the end of the femur, the patella of a dog is shaped like an almond and assists in knee extension. Symptoms include limping, intermittent skip, sudden loss of limb support and abnormal sitting posture.
If your dog slows down or seems weak, or has chronic pain, you as pet owners can restore warmth and re-establish strength in your dog’s cartilage with Hip and Joint Chews for dogs.
Hip dysplasia's evil sidekick, elbow dysplasia can cause just as much concern. According to Embrace Pet Insurance, this is one of the top diseases found in golden retrievers and costs about $1,500-$4,000 to diagnose and treat.
Any age golden retriever can suffer from painful elbow dysplasia. If you’re worried that your dog might have the debilitating condition, try MillPets Hip and Joint Chews which is formulated to support positive joint function as well as help maintain joint mobility for dogs. Look to MillPets to give you the best cbd oil available.
All of our CBD products are THC free and tested in a third party lab, which means it is safe for your Golden to use. Since all the THC is removed, your golden is never in danger of getting "high".