CBD oil properties that every Madison, WI dog owner must know
Cannabis sativa is a multi-purpose plant that originates from Central Asia, where it was traditionally grown for fiber, oil, and wood. Today, the two main species of this plant, hemp, and cannabis, are grown almost everywhere in the world. In the United States, research is still ongoing on how people can benefit from marijuana and hemp. However, the 2018 Farm Bill legalized cannabis and made it possible for states to cultivate industrial hemp for research purposes. Since the passing of this senate bill, hemp is no longer classified among the controlled substances. However, the plant is still illegal in some states. This article will discuss the various properties of CBD oil according to research.
What is CBD oil?
CBD, also known as cannabidiol, is an extract from hemp flowers and leaves that helps create a balance in the internal endocannabinoid system (EGS). It also relieves pain and regulates mood. Though not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for medicinal use, CBD oil-based drugs have been used to manage pain and the side effects of chemotherapy for years. In addition, pet owners use CBD-based products to promote wellness and general health in dogs and cats. However, an overdose can produce undesired effects such as dry mouth, diarrhea, fatigue among others. It is therefore important to consult your veterinarian for the recommended dosage for your pet.
Hemp-derived CBD oil vs medical marijuana
Industrial hemp and medical marijuana contain a variety of phytochemicals. These include:
- Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
- Cannabinol (CBN)
- Cannabidiol (CBD)
- Cannabichromene (CBC)
- Cannabigerol (CBG)
Out of these, CBD and THC are the most popular. Both hemp and marijuana contain these compounds but in carrying degrees. For instance, while hemp has more CBD oil and less THC, cannabis has more THC and less CBD. THC is the chemical that is responsible for making people high, but the level present in hemp products is not enough to produce these psychoactive effects.
Which are the best CBD products for Madison, WI pet owners?
There are many CBD products in the market today. In Wisconsin, any approved CBD product must have a THC content of less than 1 percent. However, this is not the only factor to consider when buying cannabidiol CBD for dogs. Here are the things to watch out for:
- THC content. THC is the chemical that gives cannabis its psychoactive effects. A high THC content makes humans high, and will make dogs high. Avoid giving your pets any CBD products with more than 0.3 THC content. Any trusted brand of CBD for pets will provide the THC content on the label, so read well before making the purchase.
- Hemp-derived products vs cannabis-derived CBD products. CBD is found in both hemp and cannabis. However, cannabis-derived products have harmful chemicals that could make your pet high. In addition, State laws allow cannabis products with a low THC content only for medical use, and only hemp-derived products have met this qualification.
- Pesticide-free plants. You may not know how the manufacturers of your favorite CBD products grew their hemp. However, you can find trusted brands that are known to produce their hemp organically as this will protect your pets from consuming harmful chemicals. Buy CBD products that have gone through third party lab testing.
- Extraction method. The way the CBD oil has been extracted can reduce the product's potency. Buy CBD that has been extracted using CO2 extraction as opposed to the other methods.
- Full-spectrum vs broad-spectrum CBD oil. Full-spectrum CBD has other components of the hemp plant that work together to provide a better cure. Moreso, it contains a low amount of THC which can help calm down your furry friend and also stimulate appetite. Broad-spectrum CBD oil does not contain THC. The product you buy all depends on the health conditions you are trying to treat.
Properties of industrial hemp-based CBD oils
Every part of the hemp plant is edible, from the stalk to the leaves and flowers. The seeds are pressed to produce hemp oil nutritional supplements, while the aerial parts are used to make CBD oil. Hemp-derived CBD oil is diffused with another carrier oil such as coconut oil and olive oil for skincare and pain relief in humans and pets. CBD products come in the form of capsules, sprays, soft gels, oral applicators, CBD gummies, chew toys, balms, and oils. Even though the US Food and Drug Administration has approved a CBD-based drug for the treatment of seizures, it has not endorsed CBD oil as a drug. Most patients and pet owners use it out of their discretion, not as a prescription. Animal studies show that CBD oil extracts produce the following therapeutic benefits:
1. Anti-inflammatory properties
Dogs CBD oil acts on the cannabinoid receptors found in the body, reducing acute and chronic inflammation, and joint pain especially in dogs with osteoarthritis. Anecdotal reports indicate that humans get relief from arthritis pain within 45 minutes of drug administration, meaning your furry friend will take almost the same amount of time.
2. Anticonvulsant/Anti-seizure properties
CBD oil is a natural anticonvulsant that is used to treat seizure disorders. During clinical trials between 2016 and 2017, dogs that were given hemp-derived CBD oil responded faster than those on other anticonvulsant drugs. Overall, CBD extract helps reduce the frequency of seizures in dogs suffering from idiopathic epilepsy.
3. Anxiety relief
Dog owners worry when their furry friends start barking, cowering, and chewing for no reason. Dogs, just like humans, get anxious when left alone, with strangers or children. You can calm down your anxious dog with CBD extracts. CBD is also said to boost sound sleep in pets.
4. Neuroprotective properties
Traumatic brain injuries are common among pets, mainly due to accidental falls, attacks, and after being hit by vehicles. People have used CBD oil extracted from cannabis plants to manage medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Multiple sclerosis, neuropathy, depression, addiction, anxiety, and PTSD due to its ability to protect the central nervous system against breakdown. Research also shows that pet CBD increases the levels of anandamides in cats and dogs, which helps repair injuries and protect the brain.
5. Anti-tumor effects of CBD oil
Studies in mice show that cannabidiol CBD reduces the risk of developing polyps, adenomas, and tumors. CBD extracts from hemp plants also kill or inhibit the growth of tumor cells in healthy animals. Pet parents can use CBD for dogs to manage cancer pain in their pets.
6. Antioxidant properties
CBD oil contains antioxidants that are useful in the protection of cells against damage by free radicals. These antioxidant properties help pets fight allergies and prevent various medical conditions caused by aging.
Studies with mice show that CBD can help reduce blood sugar and increase the production of insulin. In humans, CBD helped lower insulin resistance in people with type 2 diabetes. However, it is important to consult your veterinarian for advice on dosage.
Want to buy dog CBD oil in Madison, WI? Visit MillPets for the best price
You can treat almost any medical condition with products derived from the hemp plant. Whether it is hemp seed that contains important fatty acids or CBD oil that is known to boost the immune system of your pets,MillPets will recommend the best CBD products at an affordable price. Visit our website today and start shopping.